3/16/2008

Old videos now online!

Glen decided that it was time to get the old videos online and Youtube was the way to do it (there is no limit on the number of videos you upload - at least one hasn't been set yet). So far, you can find the following uploaded to http://www.youtube.com/user/glaimee:

- Pulling out Dave's Car (Featuring Tyler, Dave, and Sam)
- The Jump (Featuring Ben and Dave)
- Fixing Dave's oil pan (The sequel to The Jump, featuring Dave, Ben, and Sam)
- Ben in the National Guard (Featuring Ben and Glen)
- Backup! (A real oldie, Featuring Glen, Kimberly, and Bryan)
- How to apply fake tattoos (Starring Sam)
- Walking a Chicken (Starring the chicken and featuring Glen)

You'll also find a few more recent videos, mostly just for fun.

Glen is planning to get more uploaded - let him know if you have any requests. He would really like to get The Movie and the backwards videos up, but is concerned about copyright problems since we put them to popular music (You may notice the music change in "Fixing Dave's oil pan" - the music was from the movie Rocky, but was changed to something not copyrighted, created in a music editing program).

13 comments:

Kimberly said...

Backwards video please. Interesting problem with the copyrighted songs...considering how many other videos on YouTube have popular songs on them, I can't imagine it being a problem. Besides, you're not selling anything or making a profit by using them. But it's smart that you're looking into it. I guess you should list the songs and artists in your credits somehow.

Kimberly said...

I just watched the Backup! video....wow that was...um...some impressive work.... I'd like to think it was your directing that made me do the Woody the Woodpecker laugh before dying. I hope you have Bryan's email address, or his parents'. You've got to send him the link.

amos said...

"considering how many other videos on YouTube have popular songs on them, I can't imagine it being a problem." - tim-berly

Unfortunately, just because other people use copyrighted music online doesn't mean you can. I image that the offenders with the most to gain or that do it the most are higher up the hit list, but it is still copyright infringement. The amount of the copyrighted material is usually taken into consideration though and you may get away with only using a bit, but the entire song is a tad more than a bit.

"I guess you should list the songs and artists in your credits somehow." - tim-berly

Yeah, you actually have to get permission to use the music.

I've come across a couple websites that explain fair use of copyrighted material. Here they are if anyone is interested:
Measuring Fair Use: The Four Factors (Standford University LAIR)
Copyright - Fair Use (United States Copyright Office)

I still haven't found a good site that explains how to go about getting permission to use copyrighted stuff.

I did read on one of those sites that some movie had some issues with a poster that appeared in the movie - crazy. That makes it sound like (if you stretch that idea beyond reason) movies and TV shows are going to have to manufacture all their own props so that no one can sue them. I hope we never get to that point.

amos said...

Great news! I remembered hearing that YouTube had made some deals with some company to allow users to use their video and music in user created stuff and guess what?! Things are even better than I'd thought - Both "The Movie" and the Backwards videos will be able to make it online under those agreements.

Did you notice the "s" on agreements? YouTube has agreements with the Warner Music Group, Universal Music Group, and others.

See these YOuTube press releases for more info:
Warner Music Group and YouTube
Universal Music Group and YouTube

If you want to figure out if a song is covered by this I suggest finding the group on Wikipedia, click on the link to their "Label", then click on the "Parent Company" link to see if it is either the Warner Music Group or Universal Music Group. You'd have to read or search YouTube's other press releases to see what other Companies have content agreements that say things like "YouTube users will be able to incorporate music from WMG's recorded music catalog into the videos they create and upload onto YouTube."

Kimberly said...

You're such a nerd Glen. And I'm happy that you are. Good sleuthing, maybe next you can take up looking for Carmen Sandiego...I haven't heard about her in years.

amos said...

I found Carmen Sandiego! It looks like the entire series of Where is Carmen Sandiego games are so old now that they are free. Can you find her? Have fun Kimberly.
Check out this page at free-game-downloads.mosw.com

Kimberly said...

I'm disappointed. You need to go back to detective school brother. The download was once free, but now requires a monetary subscription. I expected more from you.

PS - why don't other people comment?

Gary said...

I just got connected to the blog -the invitation was in the Suspected Spam folded. I also found some things from Kimberley in there as well. I haven't had time to poke around yet. Glen did show me some of his U-Tube videos yesterday after Gage's blessing

Love Dad

Kimberly said...

FYI Brother - the music on YouTube for "The Video" didn't work for me. I'm not sure if it's only a problem on my end or what. All of the other videos had sound. Just wanted to let you know.

amos said...

Weird. I'm pretty sure this was working when I first uploaded it. I'll upload it again when I get a chance.

Sorry about Carmen Sandiego - I didn't actually try to download it (didn't have time). I hate those things that say they're free, but aren't really. Liars.

amos said...

I re-uploaded The Movie - hopefully the audio sticks around this time.

Kimberly said...

The Movie's all good now. Sounds worked. :)

Tiffany said...

Glen, this is Tyler. I was just thinking about these videos a few weeks ago, and here they are...Nice job on the remastering of them. I think we need a sequel for "The Movie." It's not just me, it's the fans that want it. We got to keep them happy or else they will turn on us. Like they did Tom Cruise. Or Brittany Spears.