6/24/2010

Graduation from the crib...finally!

Gage slept in his big boy bed for the first time last night!  As I was driving home from visiting Emily yesterday I was talking to Glen on the phone and we just decided kinda spur of the moment.  We had been waiting for a good reason like when he starts climbing out of the crib or something, but when I heard that Glen rearranged the furniture in Gage's room while we were gone, and that the bed was now right where his crib used to be, I decided it was about time.  So Glen threw the new robot sheet set in the wash so we could make the move as exciting as possible.

He has wanted to sleep in the twin bed ever since we set one up in his room and one in the office (where Nathan naps when he's over) about 3 months ago.  He helped us make the bed and seemed pretty excited about getting to sleep in it.  When bedtime came he did the same old stalling tactics and refusal to brush teeth.  When we finally got him in bed he seemed happy but a little concerned about the crib that was now sheetless. We said good night and shut his door. To make a long story a little shorter, he cried and complained for about 45 minutes.  I finally went in to check on him and he insisted he needed his crib blanket which I'd hidden in hopes that he wouldn't ask for it and that the new robot sheets would be enough.  I quickly gave in, giving him the blanket.  He then requested, "Sing song!" which I did and then left the room.  He complained briefly and went to sleep. Hurray! He never tried to leave the room or play with toys (which I'm sure is yet to come).  We had pillows ready on the floor next to him in case he tumbled out, but that didn't happen either.  We had to peak in on him a few times after he went to sleep and laughed to see him with his feet on the pillow. In the morning he called out like he normally does, "Daddy (or Mommy), I'm awake!" and never left his bed until we came in.  We are very happy it went so well.

The picture above is from nap time today - the second time in the big bed. It went even better!  I think it helped that he was tired from playing at the park and going down for his nap a little later than normal.  We got home from the park and he headed right up to his room and climbed on the bed.  I changed his diaper with no fight at all and then tucked him in with his TiVo bear and Elmo doll.  There was no complaining when I left the room.  I heard him over the monitor for about 10 minutes making small noises, but other than that there was not a peep!  Yeah!  I'm sure it will probably not always go this well, but I'm glad we started off on the right foot!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Super cute robot sheets...and super cute kid of course. Hope his sleeping in the bed always goes so smoothly!

Jen said...

Yay! That is so fun to watch your little boy graduate to a big boy bed. It makes them seem so big. Seth has been in one for a few months (since Emery was born bc we needed it for her). It was exciting...until he started sneaking out of his room:) I started baby gating him in the room and now it is much better! Hurray.

Anne said...

What a good boy! It's so nice when things work out as you hope!